The purpose of the Santa Cruz SPCA is to ensure the best possible quality of life for animals and to promote respect and reverence for all. Our mission is to strive to prevent cruelty to animals, to stop pet overpopulation, to promote community responsibility and for the humane care, treatment and well-being of all animals through adoption, education, information, and action.
History of The Santa Cruz SPCA
The SPCA got its start thanks to Dr. Charles Edward Graves, who graduated from a San Francisco veterinary college in 1901 and was the first veterinarian in Santa Cruz County to treat small animals.
In 1938, he donated his land to the Santa Cruz SPCA. In 1955 the Santa Cruz Animal Welfare Association was incorporated. Alva Enberg, founder, was also its first executive director.
When the Santa Cruz County Animal Services Authority was formed in 2002, they took over the animal control contract with the county of Santa Cruz and the Santa Cruz SPCA became a private agency, focused on humane education, animal rescue, and community support. As a result of the SPCA’s shift from a public-funded service to private agency, the only funding they receive is in the form of private donations.
Mailing Address: PO Box 3800, Santa Cruz, CA 95063
Shelter Address: 2685 Chanticleer Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95065
Telephone: 831.465.5000 * Fax: 831.479.8530